Neighborhood Housing Services of South Florida (NHSSF) has been on the forefront of assisting South Florida communities of need for over 40 years. Our core mission is to promote financial well-being and prosperity among low-wealth neighborhoods by facilitating and securing homeownership for thousands of residents across Broward and Miami-Dade Counties, through our financial and homeownership literacy programs, housing counseling and lending products and services.
In the wake of this pandemic, and thanks to the generosity of the Community Foundation of Broward, we will provide one-time emergency assistance to distressed Broward families impacted by the coronavirus to maintain housing stability. Funding will be available in the form of one-half assistance for rent; full or partial mortgage payments for those households not covered by FHA, Fannie or Freddie; and/or financial assistance to cover HOA, condo, or escrow fees.
Program Options and Requirements
|Eligible Applicants||Program General Rules||Program Processing Documentation|
|Total family income at or below $50,000||Provide tax returns||State ID, Driver’s License, Utility Bill|
|Impacted by C19 (COVID-19)||• Lost job|
• Lost part time job
• Lost income
|Provide documentation such as letter from employer|
|Rental Assistance||A one-half payment up to $800||Paid directly to landlord|
|Mortgage Assistance||• For mortgage holders no government backed|
• Pay mortgage up to $1200
• Pay escrows up to $500
• Pay HOA fees up to $300
• Pay Condo Fees up to $300
Total maximum of $1500
|• Must agree to intake with HBE counselor (one-on-one counseling session)
• Paid directly to loan servicer
|One-time assistance||You can only apply once for one category of assistance.||Payments are made directly to the landlord, property management firm, or loan servicer|
Additional Program Requirements
- Applicant/Landlord must not be receiving household subsidies from any other federal, state, and/or local program for the unit the applicant is living in. Such programs include, but are not limited to: Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher / Mod-Rehab, HOPWA Tenant Based Rental Assistance, Public Housing, Section 202, or VASH.
- Rent, Mortgage, and Utilities must be current as of February 2020.
- Must not have liquid assets or other sources of capital from where rent and utilities can be paid from.
- Proof applicant is current on payments of rent or mortgage payment as of February 2020;
- From your landlord: They will need to provide the City with a W-9 form and ACH (Direct Deposit) form.
If receiving a preliminary approval for assistance, below is the documentation you will be required to provide within 5 business days of approval.
- Proof of residency: rent payment coupon, mortgage payment coupon, utility bill, state id, driver’s license
- Job termination letter, unemployment verification letter or other proof that you lost your employment on or after March 1, 2020;
- Copy of paystubs for all members of your household, if any, Social Security Award Letter, etc.
- Copy of bank statement(s), annuity statements or any other documentation showing personal assets.
- Authorization to Release Information Form, if applicable;
- Copy of current executed lease agreement under applicant’s name or showing applicant as tenant. (The address of the property listed on the lease agreement must be located within Broward County)
Apply for the Emergency Relief Fund from NHSSF
and the Community Foundation of Broward
You have gone through NHSSF Relief Fund options and requirements and you are ready to apply? Please fill out this form online or call us at 305-751-5511 to start the process. Once we’ve received your application and collect the documentation required (Please NOTE: Upload only scanned documents in PDF format and comprised files (if necessary). Pictures and separate, single files WON’T BE ACCEPTED AS VALID and will delay or even stop your application process), we will proceed with the last part of the process (HBE registration (if applicable) or payment) in a timely manner.
For more information, please call us at 305-751-5511 or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and Ms. Cruz (our program processor) will reach back to you by the end of the day.
Thank you for your trust: We are here to help our communities thrive, and like in past crises, we will!