Neighborhood Housing Services of South Florida (NHSSF) is a local homeownership center and community development organization. Our mission is to collaborate with residents and other stakeholders to stabilize neighborhoods and develop sustainable housing. We provide a full spectrum of homeownership services in English and Spanish.
AVAILABLE CAREER OPPORTUNITIES:
Position: President & CEO
Neighborhood Housing Services of South Florida
Neighborhood Housing Services of South Florida (NHSSF) seeks a visionary, mission-oriented, transformative and highly skilled President & CEO to build on the organization’s track record of success and create a sustainable future with measurable impacts on South Florida’s low- and moderate-income residents’ housing literacy, affordability, and sustainability.
NHSSF has collaborated with residents and other stakeholders to stabilize neighborhoods and develop sustainable housing since its inception in 1978. NHSSF takes a comprehensive approach to affordable housing and community development and has multiple lines of business including: housing counseling, realty services, mortgage lending, community engagement, and real estate development.
NHSSF has an arsenal of tools and strategies available due to the organization’s status as a charter member of the NeighborWorks network, a certified Community Development Financial Institution, a Community Housing Development Organization, a HUD-approved housing counseling agency, a licensed Florida mortgage lender, and a licensed Florida real estate broker.
Realty – NHSSF has a wholly owned affiliate, HomeOwnership Realty, LLC, which represents people seeking homes, connects buyers with sources of down payment, and lists houses for sale. During the year ending June 2017, our licensed realtors closed 23 transactions for a total sales volume of $3,742,178.
Lending – In the past two years, NHSSF has received $3.5 million from financial institutions in down payment assistance and lending capital to support lending activities. After a period of dormancy, the lending line of business is generating approximately 10 new loans a month and $50,000 of gross monthly income. Currently, most of the lending activity takes the form of brokered single-family loans that are originated on behalf of lender partners. The organization has a pending request for financial assistance from the CDFI Fund. NHSSF currently has four staff for lending.
Real Estate Development – NHSSF had a robust pipeline of real estate projects developed with NSP2 funding. In total NHSSF and its NSP2 consortium partners created 1,500 homes with NSP2 funding. During the year ending June 2017, the real estate department completed and sold five units. As of July 2017, NHSSF has 12 properties in pre-development or under construction, and two for sale. NHSSF currently has one staff for real estate development.
Community Building and Engagement – For the past 3.5 years, NHSSF’s community building and engagement has been focused on the urbanized NW 79th Street Corridor in unincorporated northwest Miami-Dade County. This work has received financial support from the Citi Foundation and the Low Income Investment Fund. NHSSF serves as the community quarterback of efforts among local organizations, small business owners, and residents aimed at neighborhood stabilization and the creation of economic opportunities. NHSSF currently has two staff for community building and engagement.
Counseling – At the height of the foreclosure crisis, NHSSF provided foreclosure mitigation counseling to more than 11,000 people with a staff of 20 certified housing counselors. As the need and resources for foreclosure mitigation has diminished, NHSSF has put more emphasis on helping prepare people for homeownership through one-on-one counseling and homebuyer classes in Spanish and English. During the year ending June 2017, 300 people received homebuyer training and 180 became homeowners.
NHSSF’s staff and budget size has varied dramatically in the last 10 years. The staff grew to 60 in response to the foreclosure crisis and the resources the organization attracted as the lead agency for $89 million in NSP2 funding and as a Fannie Mae Mortgage Help Center to respond to the foreclosure crisis. After these programs ended, staff size decreased over time to the current level of 20.
NHSSF continues to receive support from several local and national funders and to earn revenue from its lending and realty activities. The next leader will be responsible for leading and implementing a strategic planning process that results in greater access to capital and revenue sources to enhance and increase the organization's financial sustainability. NHSSF’s FY 2018 budget totals $2.8 million and includes government and foundation grants and earned revenue from the proceeds of the sale of real estate, brokerage fees, and loan origination fees.
NHSSF is in a co-employer agreement with SOI TriNet for the purposes of human resources administration. NHSSF owns its office building in Miami and rents office space in Fort Lauderdale.
The President & CEO reports to a 12-member Board of Directors that meets monthly. The organization’s outgoing President & CEO is Arden Shank, a local and national leader, who has led the organization for 16 years. The President & CEO is supported by a leadership team that includes the chief development officer, lending and homeownership counseling director, community engagement and real estate development director, realty director, senior accountant, and executive assistant to the President & CEO.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the President & CEO provides direction and leadership for the organization’s mission and vision, represents and speaks for the organization and its work, and works with the leadership team to advance NHSSF’s strategic vision and business model.
The President & CEO is responsible for effective and sustainable programs, management of personnel, sound fiscal management, and furthering the organization’s strategic goals under the direction of the Board of Directors. This is a unique opportunity to capitalize on recent sustainability planning efforts and lead a highly respected organization.
Primary responsibilities of the NHSSF President & CEO include:
- Leading the development and execution of the NHSSF strategic plan, with a deep discussion of organizational priorities and the revenues available to support them in today’s fiscal environment and a strategic discussion of the mix of incomes of people served by the organization.
- Managing and providing leadership to existing and future staff that builds a strong and cohesive team across business lines and between the Miami and Fort Lauderdale offices.
- Developing and maintaining local and national professional relationships and partnerships that help attract resources and deepen organizational impact.
- Overseeing complex organizational finances and ensuring the fiscal health and sustainability of the organization
- Supporting the Board of Directors and working in partnership to build capacity related to priority areas identified during the strategic planning process.
- Insuring that NHSSF is in compliance with complex regulatory requirements related to status as a NeighborWorks organization, HUD housing counseling, CDFI, licensed realty, licensed mortgage broker and CHDO.
- Helping assess whether new service delivery models can allow the organization to operate more efficiently and effectively.
Experience and Attributes
Ideal candidates for this position will be strong and inspiring leaders who can build on the organization’s success and determine the lines of business that will support the organization’s long term sustainability and impact. Specifically, NHSSF is looking for candidates with:
- Experience helping organizations refine and revise an organizational business model to achieve long-term financial sustainability, while continuing to further the mission.
- Strong and entrepreneurial leadership skills and a proven track record in increasing earned revenue as well as attracting philanthropic support, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Experience managing and building a multi-cultural staff working in a range of business lines, with a track record of furthering a work culture that values accountability, builds capacity, transparency and collegiality/fun.
- Excellent and authentic relationship-building and negotiation skills with demonstrated success with a variety of community, government, funding stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with Boards of Directors in furthering an organization’s mission.
- High degree of integrity and ethical principles.
- Strong ability to organize and manage complex organizational finances with multiple reporting and funding restrictions.
- Five or more years of senior leadership experience.
- Knowledge of affordable housing finance, development, counseling, and /or realty required.
- Spanish and English speaker is desirable.
- Knowledge of South Florida preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
The NHSSF Board has hired Raffa to assist with the executive search and transition. To apply, e-mail resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: NHSSF@raffa.com (e-mail applications are required and will only be accepted at this email address). For other inquiries contact: David Erickson-Pearson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume review begins immediately. NHSSF is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Founded in 1984, Raffa is a woman-owned consulting and professional services firm whose mission is to be a catalyst for positive, systemic change. Dedicated to strengthening and supporting the nonprofit sector, the Firm and its affiliates now employ nearly 300 full-time employees who deliver an array of business consulting, search, and managed infrastructure services to clients. Raffa’s client-centric, customized approach helps each client meet its potential and ensures each client’s success is sustained and maintained. Learn more about Raffa at www.raffa.com.
Position: NMLS License Residential Real Estate Loan Originator
Department: Residential Mortgage Lending
Reports to: Lending Director
Originates first mortgage loans while NHSSF’s throughout the community. Successful candidate will represent NHSSF with real estate agents, developers, and other community development organizations to expand lending volume. Leads are also provided internally from NHSSF counseling, real estate sales, and housing development activities. Responsibilities include loan origination and management of loan file through closing, support of down payment assistance programs, and engagement with NHSSF community development activities.
- Possess current NMLS license eligible for doing business in the state of Florida
- Two to three years RECENT experience in residential lending as an NMLS Licensed Mortgage Originator with a proven track record of having a pipeline of loans that has been self-originated
- Ability to interview potential borrowers to determine complete family financial situation and mortgage readiness for pre-approvals and complete loan applications
- Ability to compute borrower’s and household income including reading of tax returns and pay stubs; can review bank statements to determine and identify any unusual activity
- Ability to complete loan application and all required disclosures and explain those documents to borrower
- Excellent sales, organizational, managerial and interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in order to effectively communicate weekly with clients and real estate agents about NHSSF’s loan programs and policies
- Ability to read and comprehend training materials, communications and related loan manuals and apply them to daily work
- Ability to learn and follow policy and procedures regarding the department lending process
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with basic office equipment and Calyx Point or similar LOS; proficient with Microsoft Office products.
- Participate in trainings and seminars that include public speaking on weekends and evenings
- Assist the Director of Lending with assigned special projects and other tasks deemed necessary to achieve overall goals and operate a successful Lending Program
- Abide by the highest Ethical standards in representing NHSSF programs and borrower qualification
- Bilingual a plus
Specific Job Functions
- Solicit first and second mortgage loans for organization. Inform prospective loan clients of underwriting guidelines and all applicable government regulations pertaining to loan application process
- Personally interview loan applicants and complete their loan application and pre-processing functions in a timely manner and ensure all required disclosures delivered in the timeframe required. Participate in the closing process as needed and assigned.
- Stays abreast of regulatory requirements to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements at all times, in all ways.
- Personally answers incoming phone calls, sees walk in clients, and schedules appointments for clients; Communicates approvals or denials to borrower, real estate agent and/or builder. If housing counselor is involved, keeps counselor informed.
- Distributes NHSSF approved market data, flyers, and general loan information to the real estate community as directed by management; Promotes and participates in NHSSF’s special credit and first time homebuyer programs
- Actively participates in local business and community activities and maintains close contact with local municipalities, builders, real estate brokers, customers and prospects.
- Other duties as assigned
- Outgoing, self directed and personable.
- Highly self-motivated individual who is capable of working independently with little or no supervision and who can work also as a productive team member.
- Detail-oriented with an ability and willingness to learn new skills in a quick and efficient manner.
- Ability to work with customers, partners, and staff of diversified backgrounds with a positive, optimistic, goal oriented attitude.
- Must have dependable transportation and valid Florida Driver’s License.
Salary and Benefits
- Compensation program commensurate with job responsibilities, skills required and job performance and meeting with regulatory requirements
- Benefits are described in the Personnel Policy provided to each employee.
Please submit resumes to: email@example.com (include Loan Originator in the subject line).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. This is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.